Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
The Freedom of Information Law (“FOIL”), set forth in Article 6 of the Public Officers Law (§§84-90), is designed to ensure public access to government records. Under FOIL, an agency must make records available for public inspection and copying, except to the extent that records or portions thereof fall within one or more grounds for denial.
In order to expedite the process, please use the application template in the text below:
APPLICATION FOR PUBLIC ACCESS TO RECORDS (Via Mail or E-Mail)
Note to the public:
This language is optional but may enhance your use of the Freedom of Information Law. You may choose to utilize certain portions that are most applicable to your request. You may cut and paste the entire following text into a new e-mail or letter, read all provisions, and delete and/or modify those that do not apply.
The subject line of your request should be "FOIL Request".
Records Access Officer
c/o Center Moriches UFSD District Clerk
529 Main Street
Center Moriches, NY 11934
Dear Records Access Officer:
- Please e-mail/mail the following records if possible [include as much detail about the record as possible, such as relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.]:
- Please advise me of the appropriate time during normal business hours for inspecting the following records prior to obtaining copies [include as much detail about the records as possible, including relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.]:
- Please inform me of the cost of providing paper copies of the following records [include as much detail about the records as possible, including relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.].
- If all the requested records cannot be e-mailed/mailed to me, please inform me by email/mail of the portions that can be e-mailed/mailed and advise me of the cost for reproducing the remainder of the records requested ($0.25 per page or actual cost of reproduction).
- If the requested records cannot be e-mailed/mailed to me due to the volume of records identified in response to my request, please advise me of the actual cost of copying all records onto a USB storage device.
- If my request is too broad or does not reasonably describe the records, please contact me via e-mail/mail so that I may clarify my request, and when appropriate inform me of the manner in which records are filed, retrieved or generated. If it is necessary to modify my request, and an e-mail/mail response is not preferred, please contact me at the following telephone number: _____________.
If for any reason any portion of my request is denied, please inform me of the reasons for the denial in writing and provide the name, address and e-mail address of the person or body to whom an appeal should be directed.
Name: ___________________________________________ Address [if records are to be mailed]:______________________________________________________________